Join us for an enlightening conversation with Sarah Peyton as she shares her latest work, The Antiracist Heart: A Self-Compassion and Activism Handbook, co-authored with Roxy Manning, Ph.D. Throughout my years of hosting The Autoimmune Hour, we’ve emphasized the importance of self-agency and self-advocacy, yet we’ve never really talked about how to be of service to those who may face obstacles due to systemic issues like racism and ableism.
According to Pew Research, “Less access to quality medical care is the top reason Black Americans see contributing to generally worse health outcomes for Black people in the U.S.” (link below). It’s crucial to acknowledge that everyone deserves equal care and respect, regardless of race, ethnicity, culture, ability, or life choices.
In this episode, we discuss how to become more aware of
• our implicit bias and unconscious tendencies,
• how to accompany our self-discovery with self-compassion,
• discovering ‘Do no harm’ vows and releasing unconscious contracts,
• recognizing and addressing racism and ableism and microaggressions, and more.
Our goal is to prioritize the health and well-being of all individuals by working towards a genuinely anti-racist world, including in healthcare. This is the first of two conversations with Sarah, and next month, Roxy Manning, Ph.D., will join us to discuss how to be empowered to identify what kind of antiracist conversation they want to have—for example, do they only want to be heard, or do they want to negotiate a change in policy?
More About Tonight’s Guest: Sarah Peyton, Certified Trainer of Nonviolent Communication and neuroscience educator, integrates brain science and the use of resonant language to awaken and sustain self compassion, particularly in the face of such difficult issues like self-condemnation, self-disgust and self-sabotage. She teaches and lectures internationally and is the author of the Your Resonant Self book series. She is also the co-author alongside Roxy Manning, PhD of The Antiracist Heart: A Self-Compassion and Activism Handbook. Learn more at www.antiracistconversations.com and www.sarahpeyton.com
Please share with family and friends: https://UnderstandingAutoimmune.com/Barriers-2023
* Your host and guest are neither doctors nor medical professionals. We are everyday people trying to make sense of the world. The information presented in this interview cannot substitute for the advice of your physician or other trained medical, healthcare, or other professionals. Host(s) and guest(s) are not diagnosing specific conditions during the show. This show is not intended to diagnose, prevent, or treat autoimmune diseases or other conditions or illnesses. The information provided on UnderstandingAutoimmune.com, Life Interrupted Radio.com, and The Autoimmune Hour is for educational purposes only and opinion only. It is not a substitute for your own medical, legal, or other professional advice and care.